Type and Brand
If you're having trouble finding your brand, that's completely understandable. It doesn't just show up overnight. There are, however, a number of quick tricks you can use to get a bit clearer on it.
- I have trouble figuring out my type or brand.
- I'll tell you first how to find your type. Ask some friends, teachers, or other people you know how they would see you if you were playing a character in a TV show. Do they see you as a cop? A teacher? A student? An intern? Give them a few examples and ask them to make a few suggestions - and remind them that you won't be offended if they say "gangster" or "delinquent." Write down all the suggestions they make, and then go to another person you know and repeat the process. After you've asked about 10-20 people, look for patterns and you'll have a clear idea of what most people see you as.
- Everyone keeps saying to find your type and brand, but I have no idea how to figure that out!
- Here I'll tell you how to find your brand. Once you know your type from question 1 above, you want to ask yourself... "What is my personality?" Are you funny? Are you strong and intense? What types of characters do you like to play? To find your brand, just combine the two together... I'm the funny cop. Or I'm the caring gangster. Yes, sometimes there can be weird brands that are formed by mixing things that normally don't go together - but that's what makes you unique and interesting!
- How do I target specific people in the industry?
- Simple, once you know your brand, rebrand your marketing materials with it - get new headshots, create a reel, and focus your resume on you playing that character type over and over again. Next, figure out what TV shows, theater productions, or films are coming up that will need actors with your brand. Then using Google, find out who is casting for them and find out at what upcoming pay-to-play classes they will be at in the next few months and go to one. Then keep in touch with them so they know you. When they cast for that next project you're right for, they'll bring you in.