Just Starting Out
Ok, so you're just starting out. Welcome to the world of being an actor! What can I say, it's challenging, not as glamorous as you'd think, and you'd better LOVE IT!
- I need a better reel but have no idea how to get footage.
- I'll cut straight to the chase - these answers are going to be super simple, quick, and to the point. Please don't mistake my brevity for rudeness! So here goes: To get footage, either act in projects for free and keep hounding the director to give you the footage or pay a reel production company like www.actorscreenershoot.com to shoot your scene. Yes, Actor Screener Shoot is my company, but I don't feel bad about being blatantly self-promotional right now. Or if you want you can go out and shoot your own project, which is always fun and a good learning experience.
- My resume is weak, so no one will give me a chance. How can I build a strong resume?
- Simple, act for free in student projects and pay for training. Casting directors care most about your training if you don't have many credits. The quicker you can build your resume the better. Don't lie on your resume though!
- I keep sending out headshots and resumes but rarely hear back.
- You probably don't have a good resume or your headshot is unprofessional. Or you're submitting to the wrong projects. Look carefully at the casting call and ask... do I actually look like the character they want? Remember also, the higher the pay rate for a role, the more competition and the more important it is for your resume to be strong.
- How do I create a website?
- Go to www.weebly.com and figure it out. Super easy, free, and fast. Just drag and drop things, and look up somer other actor websites on Google to get an idea of what yours should have.
- I am just getting started, what should I do?